Jake Ehlinger, a former University of Texas linebacker, died successful May by an accidental overdose of “what was believed to beryllium Xanax laced with toxic drugs including deadly Fentanyl,” his household said successful a connection obtained by ESPN.
Ehlinger — the younger member of erstwhile Longhorns backmost Sam Ehlinger, who the Colts drafted successful April — was found unresponsive successful an off-campus residence successful Austin connected May 6. He was 20.
“As our household continues to process Jake’s death, we felt it was important to stock these details with the anticipation that Jake volition not person died successful vain,” the Ehlinger household said. “We commune that sharing Jake’s communicative volition assistance shed airy connected this occupation and forestall different families from besides tragically losing a loved one.”
Ehlinger played astatine Texas for 2 seasons aft joining the squad successful 2019 arsenic a walk-on.
Longhorns manager Steve Sarkisian called the linebacker’s decease “a calamity beyond measure.”