White House accuses Putin of 'revisionist history' successful Victory Day speech
The White House has dismissed a ‘Victory Day’ code by Russian President Vladimir Putin arsenic “revisionist history” and said his proposition that occidental aggression led to the Ukraine warfare was “patently absurd.”
Speaking to reporters during a press briefing connected Monday, White House property caput Jen Psaki said Putin’s code was “revisionist past that took the signifier of disinformation.”
What we saw President Putin bash is springiness a mentation of revisionist past that took the signifier of disinformation that we person seen excessively commonly arsenic the Russian playbook.
Psaki said 9 May is expected to beryllium “about celebrating bid and unity successful Europe and the decision of Nazis successful World War Two” but alternatively “Putin is perverting history” to warrant his unprovoked and unjustified war.
Now, what is fortunate is that we are each alert — reporters astir the satellite are aware, Europeans are aware, Americans are alert — of the disinformation mill that President Putin and the Kremlin look to be.
The proposition that this warfare that was prompted by — directed by President Putin was prompted by Western aggression oregon Western plans is patently mendacious and absurd.”
US plans $40bn assistance bundle for Ukraine
US Congressional Democrats person agreed to provide different $39.8bn successful further assistance for Ukraine, 2 sources acquainted with the connection told Reuters connected Monday.
The House of Representatives could walk the plan, which exceeds President Joe Biden’s petition past period for $33 billion, arsenic soon arsenic Tuesday, and Senate leaders said they were besides prepared to determination quickly, the quality bureau reports.
Biden connected April 28 asked Congress for $33 cardinal to enactment Ukraine, including much than $20 cardinal successful subject assistance.
The caller connection includes an further $3.4 cardinal for subject assistance and $3.4 cardinal successful humanitarian aid, the sources said.
A statement released by the White House read:
The request is besides urgent: I person astir exhausted the resources fixed to maine by a bipartisan bulk successful Congress to enactment Ukraine’s fighters. This assistance has been captious to Ukraine’s occurrence connected the battlefield. We cannot let our shipments of assistance to halt portion we await further Congressional action. We are astir 10 days from hitting this captious deadline.”
Democrats and Republicans some reportedly said they supported much assistance for Ukraine and would o.k. exigency backing quickly, but it was delayed by disputes betwixt the parties implicit whether further backing for Covid-19 alleviation oregon stiffer migration controls should beryllium included.
Summary and welcome
Hello and invited backmost to the Guardian’s unrecorded sum of the warfare successful Ukraine.
I’m Samantha Lock and I’ll beryllium bringing you each the latest developments until my workfellow Martin Belam successful London takes the reins a small later.
It is conscionable aft 8am successful Ukraine. Here is everything you mightiness person missed:
- Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskiy has urged the planetary assemblage to instrumentality contiguous steps to extremity a Russian blockade of his country’s ports successful bid to let wheat shipments and to forestall a planetary nutrient crisis. Ukraine’s large Black Sea larboard of Odesa for exporting cultivation products was struck by missiles connected Monday. “Without our cultivation exports, dozens of countries successful antithetic parts of the satellite are already connected the brink of nutrient shortages,” helium said.
- Russian forces, backed by tanks and artillery, were conducting “storming operations” connected the Azovstal alloy works successful Mariupol, wherever the confederate city’s past defenders remained holed up, Ukraine’s defence ministry said. Petro Andriushchenko, an advisor to the politician of Mariupol, said Russian forces began “storming” the Azovstal plant aft a UN convoy near the Donetsk region.
- The United States has seen “anecdotal reports” that immoderate Russian troops successful Ukraine are not obeying orders, according to a elder US defence official. The US believed Russian troops and “mid-grade officers astatine assorted levels, adjacent up to the battalion level” were refusing to determination guardant successful the Donbas offensive.
- The Pentagon said it had seen indications that Ukrainians caught up successful Russia’s penetration were being forcibly removed to Russia. Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said helium “can’t talk to however galore camps oregon what they look like”.
- Joe Biden has signed the Ukraine Democracy Defence Lend-Lease Act of 2022 to streamline the proviso of US weapons and different worldly to Ukraine oregon eastbound European countries. US legislature Democrats besides agreed to provide different $39.8bn in assistance for Ukraine, 2 sources acquainted with the connection told Reuters connected Monday.
- The European Council president, Charles Michel, made a astonishment sojourn to the Ukrainian larboard metropolis of Odesa connected Monday. Michel was forced to interruption disconnected a gathering with Ukraine’s premier minister, Denys Shmyhal, and take structure erstwhile missiles struck the confederate Ukrainian city, according to an EU official. Michel lamented that “silos full” of nutrient for export were blocked successful the Black Sea port.
- In Odesa, Russian missiles struck tourer sites and destroyed 5 buildings portion injuring 2 people, its metropolis assembly said. Ukrainian media reported a buying centre was connected fire.
- The European Commission chief, Ursula von der Leyen, hailed the “progress” made during talks with Hungarian premier curate Viktor Orbán during discussions related to the projected sixth bundle of EU sanctions, which would see a prohibition connected Russian lipid imports to the EU. “We made progress, but further enactment is needed,” she said.
- Ukraine has submitted the 2nd portion of a ceremonial questionnaire to get candidacy for EU membership. “Today we person taken different measurement – a precise important and not conscionable a ceremonial measurement – connected our way to the European Union,” Volodymyr Zelenskiy announced successful his nationalist code precocious connected Monday evening.
- France’s president, Emmanuel Macron, said Ukraine’s EU bid would “take respective years, indeed, astir apt respective decades”. Speaking to the European parliament successful Strasbourg, Macron suggested creating a “parallel European community” for countries aspiring to articulation the bloc or, successful an evident notation to Britain, countries that had near the union. Germany’s chancellor, Olaf Scholz, described Macron’s proposition arsenic “very interesting”.
- Russia’s ambassador to Poland was pelted with reddish overgarment by radical protesting against the warfare successful Ukraine arsenic helium went to laic flowers astatine the Soviet subject cemetery successful Warsaw. Video footage released by Russian quality agencies showed Sergey Andreev with overgarment connected his apparel and face, surrounded by a crowd, some holding Ukrainian flags portion chanting “fascists” and “murderers”.
- The UN quality rights assembly is owed to clasp a peculiar league connected Thursday to code alleged Russian quality rights violations during its warfare successful Ukraine. More than 50 countries, including Britain, Germany, Turkey and the US, backed a petition by Ukraine and demanded an bonzer gathering of the UN’s apical rights body.
- The UN Security Council is besides expected to clasp a caller nationalist gathering connected Thursday connected Russia’s warfare successful Ukraine, successful airy of the continuing deterioration of the humanitarian situation. France and Mexico person requested briefings from the UN Department of Humanitarian Affairs (Ocha) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (Unicef), a diplomat told Agence France-Presse.