Ukrainian troops retreat from Lysychansk
Russia has said it is successful power of Ukraine’s eastbound Luhansk portion aft taking implicit Lysychansk, the past Ukrainian-controlled metropolis successful the region.
The Russian defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, told Vladimir Putin connected Sunday that their forces had established “full control” implicit Lysychansk and respective adjacent settlements, the Russian authorities quality bureau RIA Novosti reported.
Ukraine’s subject bid confirmed connected Sunday evening that its troops had been forced to propulsion backmost from the city, saying determination would different beryllium “fatal consequences”.
It said: “In bid to sphere the lives of Ukrainian defenders, a determination was made to withdraw.”Guardian graphic. Source: The Institute for the Study of War with AEI’s Critical Threats Project
Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, acknowledged the nonaccomplishment of the city, vowing to retake the country owed to the army’s tactics and the imaginable of new, improved weaponry.
“If the commanders of our service retreat radical from definite points astatine the front, wherever the force has the top vantage successful occurrence power, and this besides applies to Lysychansk, it means lone 1 thing,” Zelenskiy said successful his evening video address. “That we volition instrumentality acknowledgment to our tactics, acknowledgment to the summation successful the proviso of modern weapons.”
A Russian takeover of Lysychansk means Moscow has successful effect won power of the full Luhansk portion arsenic good arsenic much than fractional of the Donetsk region, amounting to astir 75% of the 2 eastbound regions, which are collectively known arsenic Donbas.
Summary and welcome
Hello it’s Samantha Lock backmost with you arsenic we unpack each the latest quality from Ukraine this morning.
Leaders from dozens of countries, planetary organisations and the backstage assemblage are acceptable to stitchery successful Switzerland contiguous to hash retired a ‘Marshall Plan’ to rebuild war-ravaged Ukraine.
Meanwhile, Russia has said it is successful power of Ukraine’s eastbound Luhansk portion aft taking implicit Lysychansk, the past Ukrainian-controlled metropolis successful the region.
Here are each the latest lines arsenic of 7.30am successful Kyiv.
- Ukrainian forces person retreated from Lysychansk as Russia claims it is present successful power of Ukraine’s eastbound Luhansk region. The Russian defence minister, Sergei Shoigu, said Moscow’s forces had established “full control” implicit Lysychansk and respective adjacent settlements. Ukraine’s subject bid confirmed connected Sunday evening that its troops had been forced to propulsion backmost from the city, saying determination would different beryllium “fatal consequences”. Lysychansk was the past Ukrainian-controlled metropolis successful the Luhansk region.
- Ukraine’s president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, vowed to regain Lysychansk with the assistance of long-range occidental weapons. “We volition instrumentality acknowledgment to our tactics, acknowledgment to the summation successful the proviso of modern weapons. Ukraine does not springiness thing up,” helium said successful an evening address.
- The eastbound Ukrainian metropolis of Sloviansk successful the Donetsk portion was deed by almighty shelling from aggregate rocket launchers connected Sunday, killing six radical and injuring 20 others, the city’s politician Vadim Lyakh said. In the post-2014 determination superior of Kramatorsk, a rocket destroyed a hotel, according to its politician Oleksandr Goncharenko. He said 3 rockets deed the municipality connected Sunday and that determination were nary reported victims truthful far.
- At slightest 3 radical were killed and dozens of residential buildings damaged successful the Russian metropolis of Belgorod near the Ukrainian borderline connected Sunday, the region’s politician said. Vyacheslav Gladkov said astatine slightest 11 flat buildings and 39 backstage residential houses were damaged, including 5 houses destroyed.
- Australia volition nonstop much than $100m successful caller assistance to Ukraine including subject equipment, arsenic good arsenic levelling sanctions connected 16 caller Russian officials, pursuing premier curate Anthony Albanese’s concealed travel to Kyiv. Albanese visited Bucha, Hostomel and Irpin, 3 towns successful the Kyiv portion wherever grounds of wide killings and torture was uncovered aft the withdrawal of Russian forces.
- Britain volition big a 2023 betterment league to assistance Ukraine rebuild from the harm caused by Russia’s invasion. The Ukraine Recovery Conference (URC2022) volition statesman connected Monday successful Lugano, Switzerland, to sermon however to rebuild Ukraine, bringing unneurotic a Ukrainian delegation with representatives of different countries, planetary organisations and civilian society, the UK overseas bureau said.
- The UK whitethorn travel the illustration of Canada and seize the assets of Russians successful Britain successful bid to springiness them to Ukraine. Foreign secretary, Liz Truss, told MPs she was supportive of the thought that the authorities could prehend frozen Russian assets successful the UK and redistribute them to victims of Russia’s warfare successful Ukraine.
- A caller New York Times probe has revealed that Nazism references spiked to record-high levels the time Russia invaded Ukraine. The outlet surveyed 8 cardinal articles astir Ukraine collected from implicit 8,000 Russian websites since 2014, and recovered that since 2014, references to Nazism were “relatively level for 8 years and past spiked to unprecedented levels connected February 24” of this year.
- The president of Belarus and Vladimir Putin’s closest state has said his ex-Soviet authorities stands afloat down Russia, adding that the country’s “have practically a unified army”. Alexander Lukashenko said helium had thrown his value down Putin’s run against Ukraine “from the precise archetypal day” successful precocious February. “We are being criticised for being the lone state successful the satellite to enactment Russia successful its combat against Nazism,” a video connected the authorities BelTA quality bureau showed Lukashenko telling a gathering. “We volition stay unneurotic with fraternal Russia.”
- Turkish customs authorities person detained a Russian cargo vessel carrying atom allegedly stolen from Ukraine, the Ukrainian ambassador to the state has said. “We person afloat co-operation. The vessel is presently lasting astatine the entranceway to the port, it has been detained by the customs authorities of Turkey,” ambassador Vasyl Bodnar said connected Ukrainian nationalist television.