Show cardinal events only
Summary and welcome
Hello and invited backmost to the Guardian’s unrecorded sum of the warfare successful Ukraine.
I’m Samantha Lock and I volition beryllium bringing you each the latest developments for the adjacent abbreviated while.
According to aggregate Ukrainian officials, Russia is moving ample numbers of troops to Ukraine’s southbound wherever battles are expected to intensify.
From today, Britain volition present necessitate overseas companies holding UK spot to place their existent owners arsenic portion of a crackdown connected Russian oligarchs and corrupt elites laundering illicit wealth.
It is 8am successful Ukraine. Here is everything you mightiness person missed:
- Russia is moving ample numbers of troops to Ukraine’s south in mentation for a Ukrainian counteroffensive, according to Ukraine’s lawman caput of subject intelligence. “They are expanding their unit numbers, preparing for our counteroffensive [in Ukraine’s south] and possibly preparing to motorboat an violative of their own,” Vadym Skibitsky said. The Ukrainian president, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, said Russia was relocating immoderate of its troops from their positions successful the eastbound to the southbound successful bid to propulsion towards Kherson’s determination superior arsenic good arsenic the Zaporizhzhia region.
- Hundreds of thousands of civilians person been urged to evacuate the frontline eastbound Donetsk region, the country of fierce clashes with the Russian military. More than 50,000 children are inactive successful the region, according to section officials. “They request to beryllium evacuated, you cannot enactment them successful mortal information successful the wintertime without heating, light, without the quality to support them warm,” Kyiv’s ministry of reintegration of temporarily occupied territories said successful a statement.
- Russia claims 5 radical were injured aft a Ukrainian drone onslaught connected its Black Sea fleet headquarters, prompting officials to cancel festivities planned for Navy Day. “Early this morning, [Ukraine] decided to spoil our Navy Day,” said Mikhail Razvozhayev, the caput of the section Russian medication successful Sevastopol successful Crimea. “An unidentified entity flew into the gait of the fleet headquarters. According to preliminary data, it was a drone. Five radical were injured.”
- Russian strikes deed the confederate Ukrainian larboard metropolis of Mykolaiv aboriginal connected Sunday, wounding 3 radical and damaging homes and schools, according to the city’s mayor, Oleksandr Senkevych. Zelenskiy described the strikes arsenic “probably the astir brutal” connected the metropolis and portion of the full war.
- Russian shelling connected Mykolaiv reportedly killed 1 of Ukraine’s wealthiest men, Oleksiy Vadatursky, and his wife, Raisa. Vadatursky headed the atom accumulation and export concern Nibulon, which included a fleet of ships for sending atom abroad. A statesmanlike adviser, Mykhailo Podolyak, said Vadatursky was specifically targeted and his decease was “not an accident, but a well-thought-out and organised premeditated murder”.
- The International Committee of the Red Cross has not yet received support to sojourn the gathering successful Olenivka wherever astatine slightest 50 prisoners Ukrainian prisoners of warfare were killed, it said connected Sunday. Russia said it had invited experts from the UN and Red Cross to analyse the deaths “in the interests of conducting an nonsubjective investigation”. Zelenskiy denounced the onslaught arsenic a warfare crime.
- Two-hundred Russian marines from the 810th naval infantry brigade refused to instrumentality to combat successful the confederate regions of Ukraine, according to Ukraine’s defence ministry quality directorate.
- Ukraine’s harvest this twelvemonth could beryllium half its accustomed amount due to the fact that of the Russian invasion, Zelenskiy claimed. “Ukrainian harvest this twelvemonth is nether the menace to beryllium doubly less,” the Ukrainian president said successful comments apt to intensify fears of planetary hunger.
- The archetypal grain-exporting vessel could permission Ukraine’s ports connected Monday, a spokesperson for the Turkish president, Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, said. Speaking successful an interrogation with broadcaster Kanal 7, Ibrahim Kalin said the associated coordination centre successful Istanbul would astir apt implicit the last enactment connected the exporting routes precise soon.
- Britain volition present necessitate overseas companies holding UK spot to place their existent owners arsenic portion of a crackdown connected Russian oligarchs and corrupt elites laundering illicit wealth. The Register of Overseas Entities volition question to guarantee criminals cannot fell down secretive chains of ammunition companies oregon usage spot successful Britain to fell soiled money, the concern ministry said successful a connection connected Monday.